Thursday, April 8, 2010

Adventure Week continues ...

Well I did another first today. After a rather stressful day at work, I headed to the gym. I had a mission in mind, and it required me to make it to the gym by 6:30 pm. Not hard for some of you, but I drive 45 minutes one way to go to my gym. I made it there with 5 minutes to spare. While I stood in line, I talked to a lady who has lost over 100 lbs. She said that she had the gastric bypass. I told her I was to scared to that, but the thought has crossed my mind. I was not going to say anything negative to her, of course, but I really think I would be much prouder of myself if I did it the "old fashioned way". I am not knocking the surgery, it is just not what I want right now for me. It probably also has a lot to do with the fact that I have never had any type of surgery before and it scares the hell out of me. We talked about the class we were about to take, Turbo Kick, and she said that it was her third time and she loved it. I told her I was planning on doing it and the Hip Hop class right afterwards. She looked at me like I was crazy. I thought "oh no, what did I just say". LOL

Well the class was a lot of fun. A lot of kicking, punching, jumping around like you are in a boxing ring but rhythmically to the music. There was one song that came on that I was having a hard time following the moves. NOT because they were hard, but because it was a song my regular Zumba class does and I was getting the two confused. LOL It's funny! I told my husband the other night that I did not realize how much I had actually memorized some of those dances until on the way from the gym last night. I had the radio on and one of the songs came on. I was dancing and shaking my tush as much as you can in a drivers seat. LOL. Glad it was dark outside, I imagine I would have had some people laughing at me. Who cares! Burns calories by moving, right?

During the Turbo Kick class I was sweating like crazy and kept drinking out of my 64 ounce Brita Water Bottle. Near the end of the class I started getting worried because it was almost all gone! At the end of the class, my watch showed I had burned 500 calories in Turbo Kick.

Now for Hip Hop, the lady I talked to before class told me good bye and in walked one of my new friends who quickly was called out of class because her son was upset in the Kids Club. He was really upset and she was not able to come back. :( Well, after doing a warm up routine, the instructor started teaching the same dance from the week before. While we were doing it slow, I actually was getting it down. Not good enough to want to try to do it at a talent show or anything, but enough to not look as much as a fool as the previous week. I burn lots of calories in that class. I think I don't realize the effect it is having on my body because I am thinking so much trying to remember what step comes next. I found that if I did not think about it, I usually did BETTER! After the hour was up, the instructor excused everyone that had to leave and invited us that did not have to leave to stay and dance some more. I stayed for ANOTHER 30 minutes. 700 calories in the Hip Hop Class! A total of 1200 for the night! The instructor really is sweet! She makes sure to tell everyone bye when they leave. I headed towards the door and she ran after me and thanked me for coming and hoped she saw me again. That really impressed me! There was over 50 people in that class.

Well I have taken a HOT SHOWER, a couple of ibuprofen, and I am icing down my knees as I type this blog. I know this is NOTHING compared to a day at Fitness Ridge, but the pain is giving me a glimpse into my future! YEP! Need to save LOTS of money for massages! :)

Hang in there Cat Chez! I love reading about your days at Fitness Ridge each evening before I go to bed. Give Diane a hug for me! I saw she is too tired to blog about her day.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to try out a hip hop class since I'm liking zumba so much. Just haven't done it yet. Must put that on my to do list. I've not seen any Turbo Kick classes around where I live but that sounds fun too. I imagine that it's like cardio kickboxing? Sounds like you had fun with both classes and you're continuing to stay on track. Super! Keep on keepin' on! :)

    ReplyDelete